Friday 28 September 2012

I know what the boys want, I'm not going to play

lolita dolores haze
After hearing a lot of Lana Del Rey on the radio, I finally caved and acquired her album a while ago 'Born to Die'. Yes yes I am considerably quite slow on the uptake. And was sceptical about it for a while, but no harm has been done. In fact, it has reignited my love for Vladamir Nabokov's Lolita. Miss Del Rey has described herself as ''Lolita got lost in the hood' and makes literal, and some not so literal references to the book.
 
"Light of your life, fire of your loins'
 
humbert lolita dolores 
On my commutes to work I listened to it a lot for about a week. There was a lot I liked about the album, but there was something that i didn't like that much which took me forever to figure out. There is also quite a lot I do like about her also. She is quite nice on the eyes, has amazing hair...rocks the vintage look way to well....grrr...
Anyway, the intrigue wore off after not too long. As I had a feeling it was going to. 
The reason why Lana Del Rey and her Lolita obsession ....can you really self proclaim yourself as Lolita? Doesn't that contradict the concept of it just a little bit? If you can call yourself one, don't you lose that innocent/naive charm of a Lolita?

Anywho, just a thought.

I'd rather talk about Lolita instead. One of the few books I've actually EVER read. Something about those kinds of stories draw me in.... I don't read often, or ever really....and will always watch a movie over a book. I just put it down as I have a short attention span, and am always multitasking while watching movies as well (mainly sewing!!)
 
I borrowed (actually still have) the book which is my close friends dads copy. It's incredibly old, and falling apart, and I had to start carrying it around in a plastic sleeve because just opening the pages was doing it damage. Oops.

bubblegum
 
After watching the movie about a year and a half ago I went on a google image spree. What Dolores wears in the movie. Oh how dandy all her clothing is. Listening to Lana Del Rey reminded me I MUST make some of these for myself for spring/summer. Below are the essentials.


 The blue two piece play suit and the black and white two piece with lace are on the top of the list. I bought two lots of fabric for the playsuit already, don't know which one I like the best yet! 
lolita
lolita

The white two piece play suit would be great for lounging around in during the summer. Fantastic beach wear too if you made a high waisted bottom as well. I can't imagine actual cotton shorts being great to wear in the water....think of the chaffing.
 
dolores
 
Lolita Dolores Haze
essential dolores accessories
 
 
dolores

 
 dolores
 
I apologise, all my posts seem to get way longer than I think they will be. Guess I just like the sound of my typing too much.

I leave you with one of my favourite stillstaken from the film. It sums up a lot of the movie in one frame for me 
dolores

 My car is limping, Dolores Haze,
And the last long lap is the hardest,
And I shall be dumped where the weed decays,
And the rest is rust and stardust.

3 comments:

  1. I've only just discovered lana del ray too. Its one of the few tolerable things they play at work... >_<

    also, Ive somehow ended up with two copies of lolita (bought it in paperback then found a very pretty copy in hardback) If you want it, the paperback is yours :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh rly?!? that would be the awesomest!!!

      Delete
    2. p.s. man retail music is THE WORST THING EVER

      Delete

Thank you for reading and sharing your thoughts = ^ _ ^ =