Monday 20 August 2012

Phosphorescence

Christine Atkins, Refraction IV, 2012, Glass LED and tint, variable dimensions, photographed by Greg Piper
'The interaction between light, glass and water is the basis for much of Atkins’ exploratory work. She is interested in highlighting the phenomena created during the interactions between these materials while echoing phenomena found in nature. Her work is created from the interplay of her chosen materials and ideas.'


Image taken from front on
On the weekend, when I went to see the 'Japan:Kingdom of Characters' Exhibition, I also stumbled across another amazing installation piece.
In a small room, coming off the main exhibition room, was an installation piece by Christine Atkins

As I walked into a black room, all I could see glass rectangles floating in the middle of the room. At first I thought these were projected images, and I stood there for a few seconds trying to figure out where they were being projected from. The images were slowly swaying independently from each other.


Side on image
As I kept walking in a got closer, I realised that these images were not being projected, once you looked at the installation from a side on view, you could see that there were a cluster of many different glass bubbles, being suspended by strange, with tiny light fixtures shining through them.

It was a truly amazing atmosphere it created, incredibly relaxing and beautiful, very much unlike anything else I had ever seen or experience.


Image of an individual glass ball and attached yellowish light.


I'd say installation art has always been a style I always enjoy the most. I love being able to interact with a piece, and see if from many dimensions. I like being able to touch and further investigate. And what I liked the most about this one was, that it tricked me into thinking it was something else. Purely just because I had never experienced anything quite like it.

It was a unique experience, made all the better by the fact that it was something that I unintentionally stumbled upon. The shadows it projected, as well as the movement and the contrast between dark and light all interacted wonderfully and created were truly an experience like no other.

I would have loved to take this whole room home and just have a sweet black room lie around in, it would be so calming and tranquil.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. That looks amazing. I agree with you- I love to walk around and interact with art...any be tricked into thinking it is something else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How interesting and beautiful! I love installation art, and that one sounds quite magical :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and sharing your thoughts = ^ _ ^ =